John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods
John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods, wrote a guest editorial for the Wall Street Journal
opposing health care reform. If you can believe it, the title is:
The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare
Basic features of this “plan:”
• Remove the legal obstacles that slow the creation of high-deductible health insurance plans and health savings accounts (HSAs).
In the event that you’re not paying attention, what Mackey wants is for employers to pay less, and employees to pay more, into the health care system. Seriously.
• Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover.
Those of you who were foolishly hoping that MackeyCare would at least prohibit insurance companies from declining care for pre-existing conditions are a bit disappointed now, aren’t you? So not only does Mackey want employers to pay less and employees to pay more, he wants the insurance companies to be able to provide less.
• Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.
except….doctors don’t pay hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.
but you already knew Mackey was a liar, if you look at the some of the crap he’s selling at Whole Foods.
Mackey short: I’m not rich enough, gimme some more tax breaks, buy foods from me at inflated prices, and everybody should just donate to charity. Those people who’ve lost their insurance from being fired, or had their insurance cancelled because of a pre existing condition, or just plain can’t afford $5,000 a year per person, can suck it.
Well, John Mackey can suck it.
Whole Foods was a pioneer in organic food retail. Good for them. But what got you here, won’t get you there.
Now there are lots of organic options. And many of them much more socially conscious than Whole Foods. Let me direct you to this compilation of Whole Foods many regressive policies.
Mackey himself has a very dubious history of sock-puppetry on the internet, acting in unethical fashion to manipulate the stock market.
Whole Foods and their CEO/founder are just another greedy, regressive company that just happened to sell a trendy product. The operate under the usual monopoly tenets: High prices, low wages, and low standards. Mackey doesn’t mention that he’s telling his managers to cut back full-time workers to 70%, so he doesn’t have to pay benefits for the other 30%.
And now he’s trying to deprive the country of a much needed healthcare reform.
Not with my money.
Farmers’ markets, Safeway, Krogers, Trader Joes, there are lots of alternatives.
p.s. Lanny Davis, you can suck it, too.